Have you always wondered what’s the best way to go about losing love handles? Are you worried about the “muffin top” effect and it’s affect on your happiness? Here are some great tips and tricks to getting rid of these nasties.
What exactly are love handles?
Firstly, are you sure you have them? If you have an area between your waist and hip in that you can grab a handful of flesh, then you are deemed to have love handles. Some describe it as the top of a muffin, when wearing pants, this area normally hands over the edge of your pants slightly. If you recognize these as visible on yourself, then you could be deemed to have love handles. Don’t be too worried, since there are a few things you can do easily to lose love handles.
In losing love handles, there a few exercises that you can carry out that will strengthen and tone the muscles (obliques) in this area, such as cardio, crunches, bench dips, pushups and twists. Since there are so many, we’ll focus one of the more effective ones, twists.
The key throughout the whole of the oblique exercise in losing love handles is to engage your core. This is done by tensing your abdominals and you should feel like you’re concentrating on this area. This is essential to preventing back and neck strain. Too often people use their back to exercise, instead of the focus coming from their core.
1. Sit on a comfy mat and ensure you’re wearing comfortable clothes
2. With knees bent, lean back so you form a 90 degree angle between your legs and upper body, not fogetting to engage your core.
3. Rotate your upper torso to the left, keeping your knees bent and your core engaged. Pause for 5 seconds.
4. Rotate back to center and continue rotating to your right. Hold for 5 seconds.
5. Remember, keep your core engaged and ensure to only rotate your torso, not your lower body. Your head should follow the line of your torso whilst twisting to prevent neck strain.
The above steps are a great start to strengthening your obliques and losing love handles. Once comfortable with this exercise, try raising your feet off the floor or adding a medicine ball for greater effect. Again remember to engage your core, you shouldn’t feel your back or neck straining.
If you combine the above in conjunction with a healthy diet and a structured cardiovascular program, you’ll be well on your way to losing love handles, forever.